Friday, April 10, 2015

Forgiveness and the Face of God

HELLO READERS!

This is my first post in a VERY long time! I have missed you. And God would not stop the gentle tug on my heart to return to this blog.

It feels as though a lifetime has happened since then. Over time with the leading of the Lord, I will slowly unhash lessons I have learned along the way.

This post is about...
FORGIVENESS 
(and boy have I had my share of this recently).

Matthew 18:21-22 (NKJV) Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

Isaiah 43:25 (NKJV) "I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; And I will not remember your sins.

Whoa.

Heavy right? This is an area many of us struggle with. The following is a revelation God gave me while reading the book of Genesis. Many people know the story, but if you don't it's cool. The following is a short and shallow synopsis, so make sure to read the book of Genesis for full context.

See, Jacob was a very blessed man who had a habit of trickery. His name even means "Supplanter". Eventually, God molds him into a devoted man of honor, but he does some dishonorable things along the way. One of those things was fool his twin brother Esau out of his birthright and blessing (this wasn't 2015 y'all...once that thing was given and declared, it could not be undone). Blessings and birthrights were no minor thing.

This completely impacts the entire course of Esau's life. Esau was MAD y'all. And heartbroken. He threatened to KILL his brother!

The fear of Esau's vengeance haunted Jacob his entire life! After many years, it is time for Jacob to return home. Jacob was riddled with immense anxiety. We pick up at the point of the story where the two brothers meet for the very first time, face to face.

Jacob says to Esau

"Please accept my present...for I have seen your face, and it is like seeing the face of God"



His forgiveness in the face of life altering offense, his humble graciousness to the blood who betrayed him, his genuine outpouring of love to the wrongful party...it was more than just saying "it's okay, brother". 
It was an act of authentic forgiveness where he thoroughly forfeited his right to be angry, where love replaced every residue of resentment ...and it changed Jacob's life. It was bigger than Esau, it was an opportunity for Jacob to experience the love of God through someone else.


This is after Jacob is overtaken by the throes of fear. He prepares for war, attempts to ward off conflict with gifts...pleads with God for mercy before facing the brother he wronged.

Then something miraculous and beautiful happens. The angry and rageful countenance of Esau that Jacob remembers utterly dissipates when the image of his brother's tear streaked face replaces it, and Jacob is engulfed in a heartfelt embrace.

Micah 7:18 (NIV) Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.

Suddenly, the gift Jacob prepared is no longer a gimmick to keep an old familial foe at bay. Suddenly, the gift is an offering of gratitude, for the things that Jacob received that day are incomparable in value. 
He gained his brother back.
He obtained mercy from his brother.
But he also obtained grace from God. 
He implores Esau to please receive his humble offering. He is undone by Esau's acceptance. He compares the face of his twin brother to the face of God. Wow.

I've heard and read this story plenty of times. And It has always been about Jacob.

Today, it was about Esau.

The immense level of hurt caused is part of what made this moment mean so much.
It's so difficult to grasp the truth of a God who genuinely forgives the wretchedness sin has made of us. Especially when it's something so rare amidst our everyday relationships. But maybe God allows His disciples to endure offense so the offender can experience true forgivenessMaybe, If they encounter a blotting out of transgression from an imperfect human they can see, they will know the true source is a perfect, merciful God they can't see.

Matthew 6:14 (JUB) For if ye set men free their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also set you free

So yes, Jacob saw God's forgiving heart towards him through the radically changed heart of his brother.

Chew on that for a moment. Maybe God is beseeching us to forgive not only to free us, but so that someone else can see the face of God. 

Daniel 9:9 (NIV) The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him

Colossians 3:13 (NIVBear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

~Love, Compassion, Royalty~

Queen

P.S. Are there any situations where you've had to forgive a deeply painful offense? Have you ever needed forgiveness from a major offense? Feel free to share your experiences or revelations with forgiveness with me!



1 comment:

  1. Great post!! I was actually in a situation where I was extremely hurt and offended by someone very close to me. It took me such a long time to forgive. God had to literally change my heart because it was stone! But I thank God I chose to make things right and forgive. It was through much prayer and fasting though! I loved this revelation really makes me want to be more forgiving.
    Thanks for sharing!!

    www.beautifiesthemeek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete